“The universal mission involves all, all things and always. The Gospel is not an exclusive possession of whoever has received it but a gift to share, good news to communicate. And this gift-commitment is not only entrusted to a few but on the contrary to all the baptised, who are “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people” (1 Pt 2:9), so that they may declare his wonderful deeds.” – Pope Benedict’s message for World Mission Sunday 2011
What is Mission?
Continuing the mission of Jesus Christ in the world to:
- Share faith
- Care for people in need
- Act for justice and creation.
Someone Who Has Taken Action
View the Music Video clip below of Sarah McLachlan’s “WORLD on FIRE”. This is an inspiring project by Sarah who made the decision to make her own Music video for $15 instead of paying her production company $150,000. She then gave the balance to those in need. The result is a music video identifying what the dollars can buy in developing countries and/or communities.
“World On Fire”
Hearts are worn in these dark ages
You’re not alone in this story’s pages
The light has fallen amongst the
living and the dying
And I’ll try to hold it in, yeah I’ll try to
hold it in
The world’s on fire and
It’s more than I can handle
I’ll tap into the water
(Try and bring my share)
I try to bring more
More than I can handle
(Bring it to the table)
Bring what I am able
FOR YOU TO DO
• LISTEN and READ the messages Sarah presents in the video twice.
• Work together in pairs to document how Sarah could have spent the money in contrast to how it has the potential to be used for good, eg. $5,000 = cost of make-up and hair for one day OR one year’s schooling for 145 girls in Afghanistan.
• Discuss while categorising her spending, then prioritise according to your own set of values.
• Discuss the priorities of the class. Are there different value systems within the class?
• Can you identify what is valuable in your life? List if possible. Do we need to rethink our priorities?
• Brainstorm ways you can be as creative as Sarah to be an ‘Agent for Change’ to support the work of Catholic Mission in our world.